Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Laid Off Lawyer

I have made many interesting decisions while drinking margaritas. Considering that sentence describes most of my 20s (and 30's), I have many of those decisions to discuss here.

But first let me say, I am feeling very laid-off. In fact, I am feeling worse than the feeling that it feels to be laid-off. This is because I have been re-employed for five weeks now, but it is actually costing me more to work than I make working.

Why, then, do I work at this job? That's a good question that I am too tired to answer because it is actually tremendously exhausting to not work very hard.

Just a few months ago, I was a big firm, downtown attorney. I was part of the mass lay-offs at the firm. My boss told me the exact mistake that I made that caused me to be a part of the lay-offs, but that is another blog entry.

I am now employed for less than one-third of my former salary, working with a bunch of people that are actually crazier than a bunch of lawyers. We had a company-wide seminar the other day and they catered lunch for the vice presidents and directors only - nobody else. I would like to think that even when I was a higher level employee, I still would have found that offensive.

As a final introductory comment, I intend to add lots of introductory clauses to my sentences here - precisely for the reason that my ex-boss felt that I used too many introductory clauses in my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment