Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Cat Pillow Mystery Solved

My mom passed away four days after my son was born. One of the greatest tragedies of the whole thing is that she would have been the world's best grandma ever hands down. She was so good with kids of all ages, from babies to toddlers to teenagers to young adults - they all loved her. And she loved my son. She would say hello to him in my belly and we would both stand in his soon-to-be room and grin from ear to ear. She was so excited that I was sure she was driving her work friends crazy. Blissfully obsessed - that would be a good way to describe the way she felt about her grandson.

Many years earlier, my mom made a needlepoint pillow with a picture of a cat. I remember her saying that she did not know why she was making a needlepoint pillow with a picture of a cat, because she didn't even like cats. Well, now we know the purpose of the pillow.

On Monday, my son's third grade class set out on a two night camping trip. He had packed for the trip over at his dad's house. When I went to see him off on Monday morning, I noticed that he didn't have a pillow wrapped up with his sleeping bag. He said, "Mom, I do have a pillow." He unzipped his backpack and said, "Look, I have grandma's cat pillow!"

I had forgotten all about that pillow. When I moved out of my ex-husband's house, I was so ready to just be out and to get it over with that I had missed the pillow. But my son found it. On Monday night, when I was missing him desprately, it was nice to know he had his grandma with him. I want to believe with all my heart that she somehow now knows why she made the needlepoint cat pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment