Sunday, October 17, 2010

The October Issue

As I have expressed here and almost everywhere else that will let me comment, in my next life I am coming back as Carey Mulligan, Bond Girl to Daniel Craig's Bond.

Accordingly, I was very pleased to see that Carey Mulligan is on the cover of Vogue's October issue. I was pleased for Carey and for Vogue. After a lackluster September issue, Vogue really needed to come out swinging this month.

Well. FIRST OF ALL, I have always supported Anna Wintour while everybody else quips that she seems like an ice princess. (I get that too. We ice princesses are so misunderstood. We're just busy and thinking about important stuff, like how to bring our hairstyles into the new millennium now that it is 2010.) But no more. Here is what Mizz Anna said in the editor's letter about putting Carey Mulligan on the cover: "It is always somewhat risky to put a virtual unknown on the cover, but this is Mulligan's moment."

Maybe if Carey had been nominated for, say, an Oscar then she might not be a virtual unknown. I'm just saying. Some people need, say, an education.

SECOND OF ALL, in each and every picture in Vogue's photo spread of Carey, it looks like Carey is sucking on something overwhelmingly sour. How did that pass editorial muster?

Note to future self: Decline Vogue shoot and break up with Shia LaBeouf so calendar open when Daniel Craig calls.

3 comments:

  1. To be honest, I wouldn't know who Carey Mulligan is, except that I went to see Wall Street last weekend with X. But then, most of my friends and co-workers don't know who Anna Wintour is, either. Just now, I am entertaining an absurd fantasy where she is out in the middle of our Large Midwestern Research University's engineering quad, being completely ignored and/or avoided, as she looks and sounds like one of these media types brought in to interrupt work in order to make yet another fundraising video for the administration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Carey Mulligan is adorable. Admittedly, this is partly because every time I see the stills from whatever futuristic post-apocalyptic film she's in with Keira Knightly I keep thinking that she is Michelle Williams, who I freaking LOVE. But Carey is adorable too. That said, lately in pictures she always looks a little squinty and sour. Not sure why. Other than she hates doing the red carpet thing (who can blame her?). But. Love her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could care less about Anna Wintour's "ice queen" persona (it's so damn sexist!), but I must admit that I *am* on the other side of the celebrities-as-cover-models direction that she took Vogue. Celebrities have every other cover of every other magazine for crying out loud. Love, love, love Grace Coddington though.

    Carey Mulligan is totally girl-next-door adorable. Did you see the big spread of her in Vanity Fair this summer?

    ReplyDelete