Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I couldn't tell you a thing about Jane Eyre.

There is a constant stream of people that walk into my office wanting to know if they can do certain things. I DON'T KNOW. And its hard because usually what I am doing is not locating a regulation that says they can, but going through every possible source I can think of to determine that there is nothing that says they can't.
It hurts my head.
Do you know what else hurts my head. I read Jane Eyre three times and I couldn't tell you what it was about. Well, someone named Jane, I'm guessing. And if a I recall correctly there was a scene where Jane was hiding behind a curtain reading a book about birds? Maybe? What I do remember is that my freshman year lit professor at Clark University also taught at Tufts, and she would tell us all the time how we were less smart than the Tufts kids. Accordingly, I was not inspired to focus on Jane Eyre, having basically been told that I was not smart enough to understand it. And perhaps she was right. Because I couldn't tell you a thing about Jane Eyre. But I see they've made a movie. There's hope yet.

2 comments:

  1. The film actually looks like it could be good! I remember liking Jane Eyre when i read it years ago, but to be honest I don't remember any specific plot points now.
    I prefer works by Daphne Du Maurier. My Cousin Rachel and Rebecca have that classic gothic lit vibe but are a bit more engaging than Jane Eyre (at least i think so)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you through Juliet! So here's the Jane Eyre nutshell: Poor, plain girl goes to work as a governess for a rich, brooding man. Falls in love with him. About to marry him when she finds out he has a crazy wife locked up in the attic. On principal, can't bring herself to marry a guy who's already married. Runs off, has spiritual englightenment, comes back to find his crazy wife burned down the house and killed herself. Marries him. The end.

    ReplyDelete