Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Insuring the Birkin

Last weekend I was at a fundraiser when one of my friends asked me if I insured my handbags.

After my head was done exploding, I collected myself. Who am I to judge. I fully support my friend if she believes a Hermes Birkin bag spoke to her. Lesser things have spoken to me and I had to bring them home.

But here's the thing. I have never actually seen my friend's Birkin. If she actually used the thing, maybe then she should consider insuring it. Also, I don't think that the thugs who might break into her house are going to go, "Dude, We Hit the Jackpot. Look here - A Birkin!!!!"

Also, I had to actually google Birkin when I got home. Oh I've heard about the elusive Birkin, but I couldn' t have told you what one looked like. It's a good thing my friends have me to keep them grounded.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment...that textured glass from today's post is from Anthropologie. I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooof. Ridiculous. If I were going to spend a gajillion dollars on a purse (I'm not), I'd be more of a Kelly bag girl anyway. And then I'd use the ever-loving crap out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My MIL has one. I still remember the first time she brought it to a family function. No one there but me actually knew what it was (or the approximate cost). I stared. She gave me a pair of her old Manolo Blahniks once. They didn't fit. But I tried. Oh how I tried to make them fit. I'm hoping she likes to hand down handbags at some point. I have no problem being shallow when it comes to cute handbags....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like a well-made handbag, but the Birkin just doesn't send me. And for that kind of money, I'd rather buy another Navajo rug.

    I think, though, she's smart to insure something expensive like that, though. Even if a run-of-the-mill burglar didn't know what it was, fire or water damage is always a possibility, and sometimes regular house insurance doesn't cover specific expensive items (like my rug collection, for example).

    That she would assume everyone insured their handbags...that's maybe another story.

    ReplyDelete