Friday, February 19, 2010

The Best Plan Yet

There is nothing to eat in my house. I don't mean that there is nothing to eat that I want to eat. I mean, unless I can think of something to make with coffee and green Tabasco, there is nothing to eat in the house.

My disdain for clutter extends into the kitchen. While I view my minimalist approach to pantry accessories (such as food) as modern and organized, I do understand that others may think that I have "issues." For example, when I suggested to my husband that I could cut back on therapy to help out with the new budget, he indicated that he did not think that would be a good idea.

It's not that we never have food. I just have it down to an art where we get only what we need. If there was ever a nuclear bomb or some natural disaster that required us to hide in our home for a few weeks, my family would be the first to parish.

So last Saturday when my husband said that he was running to the grocery store, I thought nothing of it. About an hour later, I got a knock on the door from my new best girl friend. Her husband works with my husband and both of our husbands travel all the time. Hers happened to be out of town at that time. We have lots of other stuff in common, like being lawyers and having kids and we even went to the same university at the same time and lived in the same apartment complex, but we barely knew each other then.

So, anyway, she is knocking on my door and she appears to be in some state of shock. She said that my husband had arrived at her house and told her to get dressed because he was going to look after her girls while she and I went out to lunch and went shopping and went for wine, and he would come get us. Then I went into shock. Husband of the year! Husband of the year!

And drink we did. We may have eaten, and I have a box from Nordstrom with a God-awful sweater indicating that there was shopping, but I know for a fact there was some drinking.

Today I got an email from my friend that commented on the amount of wine we consumed. And here is why I love her. Her solution to us avoiding hangovers in the future is not to cut back on the drinking, but to build up our tolerance. This is a girl with a reasonable plan.

2 comments: