Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Do Not Fear the Easter Bunny

When I saw the first Easter Bunny of the season, it struck fear in my heart - nasty rodent with razor sharp teeth, disturbing pink eyes and a penchant for evil. Last year, my son placed an Easter Bunny sticker in my calendar and he just happened to stick it on the calendar day that I got laid off. Ever since, I have associated the Easter Bunny with unpleasantness.

But then I realized that all those damn stuffed bunnies also mean something else besides evil - they mean Spring is right around the corner, and I have never been more ready. When the clock struck midnight and it turned January 1, 2010, the first thing my husband said to me was "This is your year, I can feel it." But I didn't feel it. Until now.

First of all, Cadbury Creme Eggs. Hello. I never buy them, but it is nice to know that there is such a thing as a chocolate egg with a liquid white and yellow sugar yolk - brilliant.

Tulips - what a flower. These are not fru-fru flowers. These are flowers that say "I have great big hot pink petals you wimpy ass pastel lavender hyacinth bitches." I am flower, hear me roar.

The new Vogue. It has been so long since I have seen anything in a magazine that I covet, but the latest Vogue is absolutely beautiful. Feminine dresses with an edge! Heels! There is pair of Prada heels with crystals that are so beautiful that I literally gasp when I see them, no matter how many times I turn the page to look at them. Of course, they are soooo out of the budget at this stage of my life, but it honestly make me happy to know that somebody out there can have them. (Duuuude! See, I really am turning over a new leaf - it makes me happy to know that somebody - even if it's not me - can have them!)

A Golden Egg. My grocery story is selling packages of plastic eggs with one golden egg in each package. My son is going to love searching for the golden egg in the yard on Easter morning. That's exactly the kind of thing that makes him over-the-moon excited.

Four Applications. All of a sudden there were 4 jobs posted on the bar association web page that looked like something related to my area of the law. Four. That's more than there has been over this whole past year. So I applied for four jobs this weekend.

The Lay-Off Outfit. The outfit that I wore the day I got laid off sat in my closet untouched since I hung it up a year ago. It's a decent business day outfit. It has Ann Taylor written all over it (although it is Jones New York) and it was a staple in the rotation. But I could never bring my self to put it back on. Until today. I am sitting here in the lay-off outfit, feeling a lot happier than I have in a while.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait for spring either! The idea of new beginnings is so welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spring can't come fast enough for me! I'll have to go check the new Vogue, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for taking control of that layoff outfit!

    I love cadbury eggs. Tulips are my very favorite flowers. And although I am approximately four months behind in my Vogue magazines, I am going to keep an out for those shoes!

    Fingers are crossed re: the applications. "X" <--That is an representation of my crossed fingers.

    ReplyDelete