Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Rogue Rant

Sarah Palin fascinates me in the same way it fascinates me when one of my toenails gets too long. It needs to go away, but I can't stop looking at it.

So I got her book out of sheer fascination. Also, I wanted to know how she was going to help run the country along with being a mom to five kids (and also a grandma). I've got one kid and it's really hard to get us both out of the door in the morning. But 5 and the possibility that I might have to run the country? I promise you that either the kids or the country would not be getting my full attention.

I made it to page 223 before I just couldn't go on any further. Sarah really likes herself. This observation comes from someone who believes that it takes a good deal of narcissism to make it through the day. Perhaps you are thinking to yourself, well, isn't writing a blog narcissistic? Of course, inherently. But here's the thing - Even if I did have a background as a city council member, mayor and governor, if John McCain reached me on my cell phone while I was hanging out at the pro-life booth at the county fair and asked me if I would like to be the vice president, I would have the good sense to politely and tactfully alert him to his momentary lapse of good judgement. But not Sarah. She wasn't really surprised at all.

Have you ever known a family with five kids? Each and every one of the seven members is certifiable - usually very sweet, but certifiable. The parents checked out somewhere along the third kid and have that lights-are-on-but-nobody-is-home glaze.

Pregnant teenagers, little girls, special needs babies - they need a mommy. And this observation is coming from someone who was once asked by a law firm partner if I thought I could be a lawyer and a mom and went ape-shit over even being asked. But I have one, so it's doable. Very hard, but doable.

Of course, I am not in Sarah Palin's shoes so I cannot say what it is like to have 5 kids and an important government job. But what I can say is that if she thinks that she could be a decent mother to 5 and a decent vice president, then being Vice President of the United States of America must be a really easy job

2 comments:

  1. Cue up the music "Can I get a witness..." because you are spot on with the observation about large families. I am the oldest of 7. We're all nuts, some more than others. I think what bothers me the most about Palin is she's too arrogant to know she's stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously laughing at the comment about your overgrown toenail as compared to Sarah Palin. I cannot agree more! CAN YOU IMAGINE FIVE KIDS!?! I also once had a partner ask me the same question about being a mom/lawyer - did we work for the same firm? Or maybe that is a common question among law firm partners? My husband has never had that question from his firm? Maybe engineering is not as hard? Certainly harder than being VP. We only have one kid ...

    In either case, loved this post, thank you for making me laugh.

    ReplyDelete