Tuesday, February 9, 2010

But I Never Once Lifted My Shirt for Beads

1. I didn't get grounded like normal teenagers got grounded; rather, I would have to stand in the bayou with a chicken neck on a string and catch crabs for dinner.

2. It didn't phase me when there were crawfish on the porch, cooked or raw and walking around.

3. Any cockroach that is smaller than 4 inches long, that doesn't fly, and that doesn't have its own attitude is a pitiful excuse for a cockroach.

4. I once sat on my roof and waited out a flood.

6. After soccer practice in high school, the team captain would take us for daiquiris.

7. In high school, we would stop at Pat O's for two hurricanes and then decide where we were going to go drinking for the night.

8. When I got my first house, it seemed entirely reasonable to decorate it in purple, green and gold with framed Mardi Gras posters and the Cajun alphabet picture in the kitchen.

9. I can peel a shrimp in seconds using a knife and fork.

10. Every single person that I know that stayed in New Orleans past high school has been the victim of a violent crime or directly knows somebody who has been.

Sometimes I think its a wonder that I made it past the tenth grade, what with all the standing in the bayous with the gators and the realization in my early teens that everybody else at Pat O'Briens was an amateur. So please indulge me when I say, "Geaux Saints."

[P.S. It pains my greatly that blogger spell check wants to make that crayfish. P.P.S. Many, many weekend standing in the bayou with a chicken neck. P.P.P.S. I just realized I went 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 up there - the New Orleans public school system at work my friends.]

4 comments:

  1. I remember standing in the bayou with a chicken neck on a string. Through my little kid glasses it was cool but I'm sure it was torture for the teenage you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Oklahoma we called them crawdads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, Please DO NOT tell my dad, but it was kind of cool. Jean, please. Crawdads? Even worse? Craydads. I believe that's Texan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah-hem. The term is *palmetto* bugs.

    ReplyDelete