Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tent:House like Cob:Utensils

I am pretty sensitive to house smells and would really prefer my house to not smell like anything - not bacon, not onions, not even Febreeze or a plug-in.

So after regular Succotash which involved bacon AND onions, corn, lima beans and tomatoes (not to be confused with Indian Succotash that involved neither bacon NOR onions but did involve cream (read, Indian Succotash is better), I was pleased to see a recipe for Corn on the Cob. This involved boiling water. There was no rendering of pork product, nor sweating of onions.

Frankly, if you had previously handed me an ear of corn, I would have had no idea what to do with it. Turns out that it turns out perfectly if you cook it just like shrimp - that is, bring a pot of water to boil, put in the corn, return to a boil, turn off water and steep for 5 minutes for young corn, ten for larger corn. (You do the exact same with shell-on shrimp.) Perfection. Then butter and salt.

Except I refused to even give my family the option of actually eating it on the cob. I had to cut it from the cob. I hate to see humans gnawing on things. Tent:House like Cob:Utensils. And you will never find me in a tent.

Anyway - I am pretty smug that I now won't shy away from those great big barrels of corn in the grocery store. I know what to do with ears of corn and how to do it well. Yay me.

1 comment:

  1. Corn on the cob is my favorite. But I like gnawing. It's part of the fun.

    ReplyDelete