Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Step-mother

I think that my ex-husband might be getting engaged on his upcoming 40th Birthday trip to Napa. This is because: (1) Napa is a total couples place; (2) It's a bit sad to have been married three times prior to reaching 40, but a bit less sad to get married for a thrid time after 40; and (3) He and his girlfriend have been looking for a new house.

My ex-husband getting married doesn't even register as a blip on my emotional radar. The thing is, this will make his girlfriend my son's step-mother. Girlfriend is one thing, but step-mother is a whole different ball of wax. If a girlfriend leaves, she is probably gone for good. But a step-mother, even if she ends up divorcing your dad, is forever. She will send you a Christmas card for the rest of your life and expect an invitation to the wedding. Like, a step-mother is family.

What a lucky girl she will be if she gets engaged to my ex-husband (notwithstanding the fact that she will be engaged to my ex-husband). She will receive no greater honor in her lifetime than being able to have the word mother attached to her in relation to my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment