Thursday, March 25, 2010

Books in Baja

Things I read on vacation because, did I mention, there was NO T.V.:

The Politician, by Andrew Young. Holy Mother of God. Did you ever do anything that you were ashamed of? Make a mistake? Do you have regrets? Well, you will feel so much better about yourself after you read this book. No matter what you have done, you have not screwed up as badly or acted as despicably as the players in this book, including the author. I was dizzy and felt a little sucker-punched after reading this.

The Forever War, by Dexter Filkins. This is about the war in Iraq. Read this book. Dexter provides you with the real story that the mainstream news programs won't. Its not for the feint at heart, but it's real and it's insightful and I am still thinking about it days after I finished it. Best book I have read all year.

How Starbucks Saved My Life, by Michael Gates Gill. I cried through the final two chapters. This is about an ad executive who lost his big-time job and ended up working at Starbucks. The scene where he served his three kids coffee broke my heart. This resonated way too close to home - only I haven't found my Crystal yet. Even my husband, who unreasonably dislikes the Starbucks corporation, decided he liked them after this.* And, also, have you seen the CEO of Starbucks on CNN lately speaking about how they provided their hourly employees with health insurance long before health care reform? (As if I needed another reason to support Starbucks each morning.)

* Apparently, Starbucks put a store up on this famous street in Vienna, Austria. This offended my husband terribly because he felt it was an affront to Viennese culture. My husband is from South Carolina and doesn't drink coffee but speaks with great passion about the matter.

** There will be no Real Housewives of NYC Recap of week three. I was able to catch it On Demand today. It was so inane that I have nothing to say. (Oh my God what happened to me in Baja?!) (But the previews for week four look good.)

(Sorry Jen Lancaster re declaring The Forever War the best book I have read so far this year. Bright Lights, Big Ass is still near and very dear to my heart. Actually, your books about your lay off kind of remind me of How Starbucks Changed My Life, only Michael Gill Gates seems like he ended up being somewhat endearing. Perhaps you become warm and fuzzy in My Fair Lazy? Let's hope not! [P.S. I do not know Jen Lancaster personally.])

1 comment:

  1. I will have to check out the Starbucks book...they get a bad rap but they cant be so successful for no reason!

    I am looking forward to ep4!! I want to see the big blow up between JZ and BF!

    ReplyDelete