Friday, March 5, 2010

A Day in the Life of 1 in 180

Right before lunch, I got an email regarding one of the four jobs I applied for late last month. The email said that the firm received 180 applications, and then had the routine language about my experience being great but not what they were looking for. Contemplating those odds, and feeling just a little overwhelmed, I decided to go run it out at the gym.

Lately, I have been able to hit that running groove fairly quickly - that pace and that speed where I get the runner's high. I was in such a great zone leaving the gym, rejection email long since forgotten.

As soon as I got back to my desk and checked my email, I had another email from one of the other firms saying that my experience was great but not what they were looking for. So I did what any reasonable or crazy person would do, I am not sure which I am at this point - I laughed a little, started mainlining M and Ms, and got back to my data entry.

Later in the afternoon, I got yet another rejection email. I have a bottle of champagne that has been sitting at home in my fridge waiting for something to celebrate. I think receiving three job rejection emails in one day might even be better than the day I got two speeding tickets. I think a day like today requires champagne, that's all there is to it . . .

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear :O( I much prefer the openings that say if you dont hear by a certain date then you didnt get the job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :(

    I hope that you are knee deep in bubbly right now.

    ReplyDelete