Monday, March 14, 2011

Happy Birthday. I'm Sorry.

Happy Tenth Birthday Sweet Boy.


I am sorry that we forced you to be born ten years ago today. You so clearly weren't ready and you fought us every step of the way. I can only tell you that it seemed like the right thing to do at the time as we were keeping your grandmother alive to meet you.


I am sorry that you were born into chaos. We were so very glad you had arrived, but we had a funeral to plan and had just lost the person that held us all together.


I am sorry that your parents didn't like each other very much.


I am sorry that all of your outfits were yellow. I had no idea you would be so jaundiced.


That being said, I think things turned out okay. You have a mother, a stepfather and a dad that love you more than anything. I think you would agree that we finally got our shit together. And it only took us a decade! I love you Sunshine.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your Sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the best birthday letters I've ever read. He is indeed a lucky boy, and I'm sure he will eventually forgive you for ten years ago today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has to be so bittersweet every year, to remember losing your mother at the same time you celebrate your son. Happy birthday to him, and hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete