Friday, January 8, 2010

The Land of Kate Spade and Starbucks

My husband has an opportunity to work in Thailand. I know, I had to Google Map it too.

My first thought was oh hell to the no. It's a 20 hour event to get to Thailand, and part of that is by rickshaw. The flight alone is something like 16 hours. I suspect that if you put that many people in a sealed tube for 16 hours, the result is something like what happens in Lord of the Flies. Tribes are formed, leaders elected, clothes lost in favor of loin cloths, people finally exiting the plane and signaling for other life with a conch shell.

But then I started to think about it and did a little research. (1) There is both Kate Spade and Starbucks in Thailand. (2) I love pad thai. (3) There is an American International School over there so my son wouldn't even have to learn Taiwanese. (4) NO MORE FILING.

There is just one slight little itty bitty problem. I am quite sure my son's dad wouldn't go for me taking him away to Thailand for a year. Or maybe he would. How great of an experience would that be? Eight year olds love international travelling experiences, right? I'm sure its very high on their list of fun things to do right after Wii and burp-talking.

It's pretty much settled in my mind. If I don't find a new lawyer job by the time my son is out of school for the summer, we go to Thailand. I am sure that I can convince my ex-husband (who hates me, by the way) that it is a great idea to take our son out of the country for a year.

6 comments:

  1. Re #3- Your son would never have had to learn Taiwanese anyway. They speak Thai in Thailand. Taiwan is a whole other country. Where they speak Mandarin (for the most part).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? Your kid can't do armpit farts yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous - Thanks for the clarification. I will also have to Google Map Taiwan.
    Jean - Not very well, he can't. Whats wrong with him?
    AG

    ReplyDelete
  4. And furthermore, where then do they speak Taiwanese?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently Taiwanese isn't a real language, but there's a dialect of Mandarin (spoken in Taiwan, not surprisingly) that could be called Taiwanese.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He needs to come to the summer camp I run. They learn armpit farts or I don't let them go home.

    ReplyDelete