Tuesday, June 8, 2010

That's what it's all about.

I am Canadian, and I have a son. I fully expected that the majority of my son's formative years would involve me sitting in cold hockey arenas. At 5, we suited him up, got him skates and a helmet, and put him on the ice. He promptly fell over - first second on the ice he just collapsed into a heap of hockey gear. I was mortified. I felt like any second the Canadian secret service (if there is such a thing) was going to tap me on the shoulder and ask me to relinquish my citizenship. Canadian kids skate like fish swim. Where had I gone wrong?

My son took one look at all the angry 5 year olds with mullets grunting at each other on the ice and decided to spend the remainder of the season as far away from the action as possible.

Not much else took by way of team sports. But the kid is a mad snowboarder. And he's been known to enjoy climbing. So I signed him up for a climbing camp. I have never seen him more excited about anything. He couldn't eat, sleep, settle down. The kid has gotta climb. It's like he has found the meaning of life. That my friends, that's what it's all about. There is nothing better in the whole world than seeing someone you love that happy.

I think I have a little hippie climber on my hands.

5 comments:

  1. He could be the next whatshisname! You know the one...he got gold at the olympics...

    What made you leave Canada?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's more Canadian than a hippie? :) I mean, a hockey player would be great, but a climber is pretty darn fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love ur blog
    xx
    Sahi
    www.barelyvogue.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amie - you must not know much about hippies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @SP- maybe not, but I know enough about Canada :)

    ReplyDelete