Monday, June 28, 2010

Trippy Thoughts - Victoria BC

It seems entirely unreal that one day I can be looking out at the Puget Sound, whales, waves, mountains and rain with an espresso in hand, and 24 hours later I am back in a cube. I am thoroughly in love with the State of Washington. I did not see one single cube the whole time I was there - as far as I know, there aren't any.

To the extent that Washington was all that I hoped it would be and more, Victoria, BC, was not what I expected at all. It did not help that the trip from Birch Bay to Victoria involved two different forms of public transportation over three hours. (So, 6 hours total for the day.) I like to avoid situations that make me feel like a cow. The scenery from the ferry was absolute heaven, so at least there was that.

Someone told me that Victoria is a lot like Boulder. Ah, NO. While the natives of both dress like they are ready for a hike at a moment's notice, I suspect the Victoria natives do this because they give absolutely no thought or care to the way they look. In contrast, the people of Boulder spend a great deal of money and put a lot of thought into looking like they don't care about the way they look. Also, Victoria is a big city. Boulder is a little town. Victoria is covered in bird poop. It makes me a little nauseated to think of the bottom of my shoes. I do not recall a bird poop issue in Boulder. There is a Canadian Goose poop issue in Denver, but not Boulder.

Accordingly, I have done Victoria and would not rush to go back. However, Seattle/Bellingham/Birch Bay - perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment