Sunday, April 18, 2010

Deep Thoughts on Avocado Pie

I've never really thought much about pie. To me, it seems like the trailer park of the dessert world. The Cool Whip? Its hurricane.

My mother had two (okay, she had many) rules of entertaining in our house. First, we would never EVER serve guests on paper plates. Second, we would always use real whipping cream.

Where was I? Oh, yes. Pie. I saw a recipe for avocado pie in the Food Network magazine. I was so intrigued and I could not stop looking away. I didn't know whether to be disgusted or only slightly disgusted. But the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to try it. And if worse came to worse, we could use it as a dip.

Well, this pie, this pie is the cool airstream trailer of the dessert world. The picture above is Food Network's pie, mine is below. My plate is cuter. Mine actually looked and tasted better much more chilled, but it was delicious. I imagine it would go nicely with nachos and margaritas or beer.

The same recipe can be found at a charming, campy food blog called Pages, Pucks and Pantry. (She also shares a recipe for bacon jam and one for peanut butter fudge with Velvetta!) .


3 comments:

  1. Huh. To be honest, my first thought upon seeing the title of this post was "Avocado pie? WTF?" but naturally I am also completely intrigued.

    What did it taste like? Dessert-ish? Or guacamole-ish? Or something else entirely? It really sounds like something they'd do on Chopped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some reviews said it was like key lime pie - that was BS. I mean, when have you ever had a lime and said, "This reminds me of an avocado." It was sweet, which is a bit different for an avocado thing, but one you got used to the pairing of avocado and sweet, it was great. Very acocado-ey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout out. My husband and I were surprised by how nice the Avocado Pie tasted. I'd make it again in a heartbeat (and the fudge with Velveeta is from Paula Dean which means it can't be bad!).

    ReplyDelete