Monday, April 26, 2010

No I Wasn't Actually Hoping for a Girl

I have friends that asked me if I had wanted a girl. And I have friends that kept getting pregnant until they had a girl.

The only thing that I thought I might miss having a boy instead of a girl was the Saturday shopping trips. Everyone in the family would meet on Saturday for Saturday lunch, then my mom and I would go off together to shop. The purpose wasn't so much to acquire. Rather, it was walking through the Dallas Galleria that we had our best talks. Most times it was the effortless banter of a mother and daughter who were best friends, tackling topics ranging from being a wife to careers to career shoes. One time I was trying on a Dana Buchman top in the dressing room at Neimans and I got stuck with the top halfway over my head. No matter what I tried, I was stuck with my arms in the air, my torso exposed and my face covered with the shirt. My mom and I laughed pretty hard until I started to panic because I was truly stuck. My mom just kept right on laughing.

The other day I had switched out the winter Kate Spade to a summer bag I got at DSW. Try as I might, I could not find a single Kate to buy at the recent 30% off friends and family sale at katespade.com. This had me slightly worried about the state of the world but then I remembered that The Hills and The City both pick up this week and that made me feel that all was going to be okay. Except for Heidi, who truly did look better before. Much better. I predict that all is not going to go well for her.

Anyway, my son pointed out that my new bag wasn't a Kate and that I should just reuse the zebra Kate from last summer because that one was cool. God I love this kid. So then I asked him if he wanted some new clothes and we ran to the Gap and had a blast picking out jammies with sharks and a ringer t-shirt with a skeleton driving a motorcycle. And it was so much cooler than all the pink bedazzled shit on the other side of the store. Little girls are sweet, but sons rock.

4 comments:

  1. I NEVER wanted a girl! When we saw the ultrasound my husband couldn't talk for a while because he was just so relieved I was getting the son I wanted. He was terrified of my wrath had I been told it was a girl!

    I see such a difference when I am with my friends who have girls...there are soooooo many emotions - it's quite scarey actually! My little guy is pretty even keel so we dont have the wild meltdowns the little girls have!

    And...boys ALWAYS love their mommies :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I am pretty much living for The Hills right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I NEVER want a girl. Because I know what I was like as a teenager. And I know how I felt about my mother and how I treated her. And I know that I am SO much like her that I kind of want to die all the time. I don't particularly want to bring anything into the world that will hate me that much.

    And why is all the girl shit always pink and bedazzled? Sheesh. I'd totally make my daughter be goth. Or a cross dresser. Whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your son totally rocks. Is that normal that i'm already scheming about how to get Max and Hadley to go to Prom together? Or thinking that they would be such a smart, interesting couple? HA.

    ReplyDelete